Buying life insurance can seem like an overwhelming task if you don’t know exactly what you need. Many agents are trained to give you a standard plan, and you can leave the website, after final purchase feeling like there are still some unresolved issues left behind.
But, if you go into the process of buying insurance knowing exactly what it offers, and where each feature would fit into your life, you will find that you will leave the website, after final purchase feeling like you’ve covered all your bases, and that your family will have the protection it needs, should the need for coverage arise.
How To Know What You Will Need
The insurance that you’re going to need is determined by the lifestyle that you’re leading, and the amount of money your family will need to survive, pay off debts, and feed and clothe all dependents. Most agents suggest that your insurance equal 5 to 10 times your yearly salary.
Your Checklist for Insurance
- Your insurance policy should provide your loved ones with the finances to pay living expenses, your mortgages, provide extra cash on hand for several years, and funeral expenses.
- Your policy should provide tax free cash for any business and personal expenses like debt and unpaid bills etc,, funeral and estate fees, when the policy is cashed in.
- The policy should have a savings component or a pension that can be cashed in during retirement.
- A critical illness rider is an excellent idea for dependents and spouses. Make sure you understand the terms of your rider clearly before you sign off on it though.
- Term and Standard life insurance both have unique benefits. With term you can get money back during scheduled points in your life. If you are younger, you might want to consider term life insurance.